Flybaby Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flybaby Community Forum

For Flybabies that want to be able to communicate with eachother and help eachother.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'm a Control Journal brat.

Go down 
+7
Fynn
SilveryBon
nataliasdbf
BornToFly
Natalia
RhondaSue
sacto_heidi
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
hometoworkigo

hometoworkigo

I'm a Control Journal brat. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Internettie   I'm a Control Journal brat. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 2:58 pm

I've been listening to the archives and there was a call where Leanne said something about hoping people don't think they need to do exactly what FlyLady and Leanne do. She also said that even they had different morning routines. So, adapt it for yourself. Hey, here's my new morning routine:

Wake up.
Go to couch.
Drink big coffee.

See? Three easy steps!

Just kidding, of course. I have kiddos. They require just a few more steps than that, yes?

That is, however, my ideal vacation morning routine!

-Rebecca
Back to top Go down
sacto_heidi
sacto_heidi

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 3:32 pm

I like it! A Saturday morning routine! There is no reason why we can't have a vacation every weekend.

Friday night before bed: Set up the coffee pot, make a fruit salad and bake/buy some muffins. Plan something for the kid(s) to do while Mommy caffinates. Morning: dress to yoga pants and tee, put hair clip in, brush teeth, S&S and go. Ignore doorbell, LR forts, dishes and phone until noon (check-out time.)
Back to top Go down
RhondaSue

RhondaSue

PostSubject: saturday routine   I'm a Control Journal brat. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2007 5:41 pm

I think my saturday routine will start off like...

watch the weather channel. Looks like another hurricane is inching it's way towards Texas... and its already saturated. Its sooo humid, its like walking in a sauna. All the house windows are steamed up. greaaat.

Im waiting to see the newest updates on TWC and its taking forever.

One things for sure.. keep all the clothes washed. If we have to book it outa here.. I aint taking dirty clothes!

Rhonda
Back to top Go down
http://360.yahoo.com/rpeaceflowers
april

april

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 10:22 am

hi,
it took me a few months to get together a CJ, but I'll explain how I did it and why.

I wanted it to be nice an p*rf*ct, so it was never a good time to do it. That's why I needed a strong motivation to begin it. In July 2005 I called a cleaning service to send someone to clean my home once a week. They were going to send a lady in September, and I had to let her in!!! affraid

If I wanted her to CLEAN there had to be little clutter, or she would spend way more time cleaning, so I started to declutter. She would also need a list of what to do and how frequently (weekly blessing hour and zone cleaning). That way I started my CJ. I made an excel spreadsheet with weekly and monthly chores, and wrote who was going to do what. I copied all this lady's tasks in a word file, and added at the end a list of the monthly tasks, so she could do one or two in the 40 or 50 minutes she had after she finished the weekly cleaning.

The rest of the tasks were for me, so I listed them as my daily, weekly, monthly or yearly routine.

This brought a mini spreadsheet with all the yearly events (sort of a calendar): birthdays, curtain cleaning, a/c filters cleaning, doctors, etc.

I printed out everything and, voilą, my CJ.

Little by little, I added phone numbers (printed from outlook, where they belong to different categories), routines (which I don't follow Embarassed ), holiday clecklist (which I use a lot), etc.

After a year, I only had to do little "retouches" to my CJ, and I printed out every changed page and replaced it in my binder.

The CJ sits in a drawer and I never look at it Embarassed but I know it is there in case something happens to me or someone needs it.

Sorry about this novel-long message. it won't happen again Embarassed
Back to top Go down
sacto_heidi
sacto_heidi

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 3:50 pm

You didn't write too much at all!

Back in the day when I had it in my budget, I had a cleaning serice too and they are SO nice for getting to the things that took me longer to think about than to actually do. And, they are a great motivator to keep things on an even keel and decluttered. Of course, I always cleaned before the crew got here. CHAOS = Cleaning House Assistants Over Stress. LOL!

I think your CJ sounds great in that it is a home management tool that works for you. I would do the same thing with a binder version...use it for "just incase" and not daily.
Back to top Go down
internettie

internettie

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 4:56 pm

I've been thinking a lot about the CJ today. I wanted to make mine just the way Marla said to make it. I wanted it to be the P word. And so I did that (I thought Rolling Eyes ).

Only problem was that I wasn't really using it. I had it in a room that I don't go into every day, it wasn't personal to me, and it didn't all make sense. So I didn't use it.

It wasn't until I got through my paper clutter that I realized that my CJ had become just paper clutter itself. Most of the stuff in there was already online or sent to me each day in the FlyMails. So I didn't bother looking at the CJ very often. I think my thought was that the fuller the binder was, the more 'control' I was in. Rolling Eyes Duh!

I did keep all my bills in my CJ (OIB) but they were out of sight, which meant they were out of mind. I often forgot to pay a bill because the system I set up wasn't a part of my daily life, it wasn't part of my daily routines.

So I took apart the 'perfect' CJ I had put together and really questioned what I wanted to keep and what I wanted to do with that stuff. I also had to keep in mind that this was very much something that I was setting up for my DH to use in my absence and that he could get to daily, while I'm here, if he needed to.

I already had a binder that I used frequently (my telephone and address binder) and it made sense to me to add to that, not reinvent the wheel. So I put my emergency information in there, important insurance information and phone numbers on one page, lists of current medications, family info, and a birthday/anniversary list. My husband knows where this binder is (in the drawer of the table between our living room chairs - easy access), looks in it frequently and knows what it looks like. My OIB was a mystery to him. It had too much in it. And for my DH too, bills put in there weren't seen because they weren't labeled. I knew what they were, but he didn't. I knew where they were (in theory Laughing ) but he didn't. It just wasn't working.

After I had my "CJ" (my telephone and address binder) put together, I still had the bills and mail to deal with. Putting them in a folder didn't work for me because: out of sight, out of mind. I needed to be reminded of them every day. So I set up my mail station in the kitchen right above my trash can (bye-bye junk mail), brought my shredder into the area, and put just 7 files into a small, portable bin for mail and bills. My DH knows where all the financial stuff is now and that's what it's all about (that and the hokey pokey Laughing ). He's actually been using the financial bin, whereas before he just dumped the paperwork and mail on my laptop (boy, did that bug me Rolling Eyes ).

I also thought about my 'routines' and whether or not David would benefit from having them available. What we realized was that my routines were MY routines. He has his own routines that work well for him. Whenever I've been away, I always come back to a shiny, clean house (he must get very bored without me Laughing ). So it wasn't a problem for me to follow my routines off of the FlyMails. David wouldn't need access to them.

So my CJ looks different than others do. I'm okay with that now. And it's not perfect, also okay. And it does work for us. I'm sure it will evolve over time, but for today, it works just great.

So to make a long story short: I do have a CJ that I now use daily. Laughing

A very long-winded,
Back to top Go down
http://www.skootersdogblog.blogspot.com
hometoworkigo

hometoworkigo

PostSubject: Link   I'm a Control Journal brat. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 2:58 pm

Found this website/download page:

http://www.thehomeschoolmom.com/gettingorganized/flplanner.php

It's a flylady compatible thing. I wonder if it's useful?
Back to top Go down
internettie

internettie

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 11:20 pm

Those forms are neat. I think I might use them like the Body Clutter Investigator, to keep track of what I'm doing to build routines and menus (I have the BCMM, but it would help me remember which recipes we liked and didn't like). I don't really like having a To Do list as much as I like to have a Done list. I think it would be helpful to see what I actually do and then put together my routines.
Back to top Go down
internettie

internettie

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 5:30 pm

I did make a list of what I actually do each day and realized that I already have a daily set of routines. Before I was trying to follow routines that basically I had made up based on other peoples routines. Once I figured out that I really do have a routine, it was much easier to add in some of the things that FlyLady suggests (decluttering for 15 minutes, Zone work, etc.). Here's what my daily routine looks like:

Like a Star @ heaven get up; make the bed
Like a Star @ heaven let the dogs out
Like a Star @ heaven feed and water the dogs
Like a Star @ heaven let the dogs in
Like a Star @ heaven give dogs meds
Like a Star @ heaven flip the FlyLady Comfort Zone calendar
Like a Star @ heaven weigh; brush my teeth; check calendar
Like a Star @ heaven dress for walk
Like a Star @ heaven get tape/CD player for walk
Like a Star @ heaven walk 1 mile
Like a Star @ heaven take meds with water
Like a Star @ heaven rest for 15 minutes; drink water
Like a Star @ heaven shower
Like a Star @ heaven dress to the lace up shoes
Like a Star @ heaven breakfast (try to have a protein smoothie)
Like a Star @ heaven start/reboot laundry
Like a Star @ heaven empty/reload dishwasher
Like a Star @ heaven 15 minute break; drink water
Like a Star @ heaven Zone Work
Like a Star @ heaven 5 minute room rescue
Like a Star @ heaven hot spot fire drill
Like a Star @ heaven 15 minute break: snack; drink water
Like a Star @ heaven Think about what's for dinner
Like a Star @ heaven 15 minute break; lunch; drink water
Like a Star @ heaven time for me/pamper mission/nap
Like a Star @ heaven open/trash/shred mail; go through financial/mail bin
Like a Star @ heaven 15 minute break; dinner; drink water
Like a Star @ heaven clean the kitchen; shine the sink
Like a Star @ heaven update blogs, forum
Like a Star @ heaven brush my teeth; check calendar
Like a Star @ heaven lay out clothes for next day
Like a Star @ heaven clear off hot spots
Like a Star @ heaven take meds with water
Like a Star @ heaven go to bed at a decent hour

I don't have to do every single thing on the list every day. This is just my guideline. I am not going to lock myself in to 'checking off every item on the list'. I'm going to use the list to help me to stay focused. flower

Last edited by on Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SilveryBon

SilveryBon

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 8:25 pm

Way to go, Sam! queen You are really getting in gear to FLY!!!! Good for you! I'm sooo proud of you!! cheers

I found that I was running tons of copies of FlyLady's reminders and routines, but then didn't know what to do with it all, so I chucked it all and ordered her CJ, which I admit I have not put together yet. Embarassed I don't know why I have such a mental block about this... scratch Maybe this week I can get it into a binder and start filling it out. Last week was a zoo around here. But my kitchen and bathrooms stayed presentable and the laundry is almost always under control, so I didn't have to apologize very much when out-of-state company dropped in. sunny
Back to top Go down
internettie

internettie

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 2:29 pm

Thanks, Bonnie! Very Happy

I had the same trouble with my control journal - it had WAY too much stuff in it. So I scrapped mine too. Now I have a much more pared down version in a binder that I am already using (my telephone and address binder). But I had to work on it 15 minutes at a time. Otherwise I would get overwhelmed. And finally figuring out MY routine has been more than helpful. I'll be adding that to the control journal too. But that's about all I'll add. I don't want there to be too much stuff in it or else I'll just lose track of everything again. clown

Congrats on keeping the house up! cheers I know it always makes me feel better when I've got some part of the house looking good. Glad you were able to enjoy your out of town company.
Back to top Go down
RhondaSue

RhondaSue

PostSubject: aww   I'm a Control Journal brat. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 1:32 pm

Awwwwwwww I'm sooo proud of BOTH of you! Great job ladies!

Rhonda
Back to top Go down
http://360.yahoo.com/rpeaceflowers
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm a Control Journal brat.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Flybaby Community Forum :: Housekeeping & Flylady.net :: Control Journal-
Jump to: