Flybaby Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flybaby Community Forum

For Flybabies that want to be able to communicate with eachother and help eachother.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'm a Control Journal brat.

Go down 
+7
Fynn
SilveryBon
nataliasdbf
BornToFly
Natalia
RhondaSue
sacto_heidi
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
sacto_heidi
sacto_heidi

I'm a Control Journal brat. Empty
PostSubject: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 6:38 pm

No matter how good my intentions are I have not made a Control Journal beyond taking a binder and putting a list of Hot Spots in the outer sleeve. That's it since I started this stuff in late May. I feel like I am a huge brat, I am missing something or I am just too stubborn to do more with a CJ. What do you all use? Am I "doing it wrong"?

I have:

Like a Star @ heaven A post-it note with my morning routine by my bathroom sink.
Like a Star @ heaven My menu planning is in a word processing application. Then the printed menu lives on the fridge.
Like a Star @ heaven I use the calendar and reminders on my Outlook. I set the alarms to beep reminders of appointments or to go eat (I forget to eat.)
Like a Star @ heaven I have computer desktop post-its for each day to remind me of my tasks.
Like a Star @ heaven The flymails to remind me about laundry, dinner, etc.
Back to top Go down
RhondaSue

RhondaSue

PostSubject: glad Im not the only one..   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 6:47 pm

Well ok.. its been since last.. July.. and I still dont have a control journal either. I write out my stuff (yano I'm soooo tactile) and I like crossing stuff off a list. I dont wanna use the wipe off thing.. I like it to look neat!

I too use outlook at work. Tried it at home, and it crashed up my computer and got it all funky. I use it for everything cept potty breaks at work tho.
Altho I'm anal at work, cuz I use a notebook page for each week, writing down what Im doing - where I stopped out - who I asked about this or that, who is holding me up on completion (normally in a different color)

I should have a control journal
but I dont want to.

I dont know why.
I'm just weird.

Rhonda
Back to top Go down
http://360.yahoo.com/rpeaceflowers
Natalia
Natalia

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 2:23 am

I do have part of a CJ, daily/weekly routines and detailed zone cleaning lists (which i havent used yet). I procrastinated about it a long time too, till i just decided to go do it.. Since perfection wasnt necessary. My bf loves it because when i tell him to clean, he can actually go and see what needs to be cleaned Smile

I must say i like it too to be able to really cross off, so i decided to not have plastic around my routines, but have them in a word document and every sunday night i print them and chuck the old ones. It takes up a lot of paper but it definitely helps me.

Lists are my big problem too. I can have a full list of what needs to be done that day in my cj and i will still write it down on a noteblock. I am trying to stop that but its a hard habit to break.

Dont worry about not having started yet, but dont procrastinate any longer. Just do one step today (ANTI procrastination day) like write down your morning routine!

Natalia to the rescue Wink
Back to top Go down
RhondaSue

RhondaSue

PostSubject: I'm so hard headed   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 8:50 am

Ok. So I will admit it here, amonst those that may understand.

I am hard headed. stubborn, willful, whtever word you wanna use.

I think of control journal.. and my first thought is "I want it to be pretty"- I know thats anal. I can't even tell you what all flylady says is supposed to go in the dern thing. But I .. ahem.. was making a list of my meds (when I last went to the doctor) so when they asked me what meds I take, I dont have to think about it - just hand them the paper. Yano this is a drs office - seems like since they are the ones who GAVE me the meds, they shoul dknow what I'm taking.. but ok.

Then when I was strictly monitoring my blood sugar.. guess what I did. I made a spreadsheet.

I have major lists and mini lists at work..

So do I see a common thread here.. uhhh yeah.

I used to remember everything - every birthday, every event, .. now.. I can't remember crap. I couldnt tell you what I wore to work yesterday (not off the top of tmy head, I could remember eventually. There are days I think there is something wrong with me. There are alot of those days. I am always feeling insecure, because the things *I* remember, no one else seems to... and yet everyone else speaks the gospel, and I have no recollection of it. This makes me feel even more stupid.

I feel stupid writing down what I do in th emorning - cuz basically I just get up and get ready to go to work. I keep wondering WHY I should write it down -I know what I do - I do it everyday. I just dont get it.

Of course, having said all this - I will admit to the world, that I forgot my coworker/friends bday today. Hell my head is still in JUNE.. not August. So needless to say I'm already beating myself up bc I forgot her birthday - This is the stick in the antpath... cuz now I feel like running in circles w/ my hands in the air... going OMG OMG OMG... and now I am being ubber anal trying to think what I can do tonight, to bring her tomarrow. I could take her out to lunch - but when I asked her, got teh "I dont know" answer. Ok so I could order her flowers.. I did that for one other person, but that feels weird.

Now you see how I get distracted.

Ok.. focus Rhonda - Focus.

In the morning I:
1. Get up and outa the bed. grab glasses
2. Let the dogs outside to poop
3. Feed the cat
4. Get coffee
5. Take a shower and brush teeth
6. Out - Dry - Clean face - moisturize.
7. Put cat food on counter
8. Let dogs in
9. Put dogfood out for dogs
10. go back to bathroom - warpaint, dry hair --- SWIPE SWIPE.
11. Get dressed for work.
12. Bathroom for hair touchup and a lil hairspray geek
13. Put lunch and breakfast in lunchbag
14. Refill coffee cup - put keys on counter -cell in purse
15. Grab briefcase, lunchkit, purse, coffee, Keys .. and out the door I go. Normally about 635a = 6:50am. At work by 7i:30.. normally about 7:10am. Work from 730a-430a (noramlly not taking a lunch)

I tried making a list for the front of the frig once.. with my routines on them. I did Monday and then Tuesday - and the rest of the week was blown to heck. And everytime I looked at the empty list sitting there, I felt worse and worse and worse. Feeling so depressed i began thinking - why do I even both? No one will notice anyway.. and stuff like that.

Maybe somethings wrong w/ me.
Back to top Go down
sacto_heidi
sacto_heidi

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 2:46 pm

Okay. Today is the day. I am going to make a CJ with supplies here at home and even if some pages only have titles I am going to start it. It doesn't have to be perfect. The link is http://flylady.net/pages/cjmain.asp
Back to top Go down
Natalia
Natalia

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 1:15 am

Go Heidi!!
Back to top Go down
BornToFly

BornToFly

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 8:21 pm

Egads!! … you guys are so productive – I already feel like I’m way behind! monkey I come in & read some posts – they all ignite different waves of thinking for me; so I go out, like Rhonda mentioned she does, too; to collect my thoughts. When I come back in, there’s already more!? affraid

So, I’ll start here where I have an issue – when FlyLady said to make a CJ, I thought it would work great - & like Rhonda says, I want it pretty if I’m going to look at it all the time, but I was good – I didn’t obsess – just made it attractive for me & included all the basic routines as outlined on the FL website. Wink

The CJ should have worked great - I’ve always made to-do lists every day because I would often get sidetracked with another equally-needed project as I came across it & forget to do what I set out to do until too late in the day. That would frustrate me. So lists worked to keep me focused & then I also had the “pleasure” of crossing off what I accomplished! cheers Of course, there were always leftovers, because I wasn’t realistic with what I could get done & these went on the next day’s list, some of them over & over – sound familiar, anyone?

But, surprisingly, I found the CJ to be non-functional for me – It sits on the counter, unused. AM routine is basically getting up & getting dressed, … yes, to shoes, + personal hygiene & daily meds. No prob!! I’ve never been a Franny – I always had outside stuff I wanted to tackle & obviously had to have clothes on, even out in the stix where we are! Load of laundry/day – yeah, a stickler – often let it go till I ran out of stuff to wear – then race to get it done! Swish & Swipe became a habit real quick - mighty fine to see it shine every day with so little effort!!

But, the computer FlyLady reminders are an easier way, I think, to remember to get them done now, even tho FlyLady recently tells us we shouldn’t be relying on them, ‘cause she didn’t have them when she started & used the CJ instead. Every day, I see the reminders in my inbox, leave it there until I do the chore (usually right away), then take the pleasure of deleting it. … & so it goes through the day. It’s sooo much simpler! Voila! – no need to check the CJ, line out with marker, then clean it up for next day’s use. clown

So, where am I off-track here? I’m with Heidi on this one - I must be missing something basic since FlyLady encourages us so repeatedly to be using the CJ throughout the day! Would I be doing better somehow if I used the CJ? What does it offer me aid-wise that I’m not clicking into? It’s made, but NOT functioning!! Am open to all input!! … Go ladies!! … I’m all ears! flower

Later/ or sooner? - Marie sunny
Back to top Go down
RhondaSue

RhondaSue

PostSubject: journal smurgle...   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 8:31 pm

Ok well I can't answer the control journal questions - cuz I dont even know what all has to go in there. Why does it sit on the counter? Why make a morning list.. when I do the same thing every morning. No I dont fold or wash dishes int he morning cuz I do that the night before.

For instance.. I folded up a load tonight, washed and the sheets are drying.. and another blanket is washing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that reads things, and just sits and mulls it over for a while... I don't feel quite so weird now. (big grin)

Rhonda
Back to top Go down
BornToFly

BornToFly

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 8:51 pm

Yup, Rhonda, if I can't put my ducks in a row before I let them out, there's no rhyme or reason to say anything!! geek

Apparently setting the sucker on the counter is supposed to remind us to use it to accomplish our routines, according to F.L.! But, the CJ doesn't do that for me - the computer is more efficient & I'm on it every day, so what's the deal?? ... & I'm with you on the AM stuff - it's part of daily manuvers. So, since we're on the same page, do we just create & use something else that would apply to us better?

F.L. does say,,even tho she pushes the CJ, to adapt what she offers to suit our setup - maybe this is one of 'em!?

Clue me in, Marie sunny
Back to top Go down
sacto_heidi
sacto_heidi

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 12:41 am

CJ UPDATE: I didn't do a darn thing to it. I left the link open on my computer for 2 days too. No biggie for now because the emails and my current system did the job. I just want to know what I am missing so I will make time to get in there and see what is up. If I discover anything I will let you know!
Back to top Go down
Natalia
Natalia

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 3:04 am

Hmm, yes i definitely see your points of view. I think that the reason for the CJ is that you can personalize it and then you dont have to think about the things again. I use because otherwise my head gets full with that kinda stuff, not nice and useful things Smile But you also have your routines down a lot better, maybe you are right, and you dont need the CJ.

If its just that the paper version doesnt work, you could also make one on the computer, that you could check everyday to see if you did everything.
Back to top Go down
nataliasdbf

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 3:13 am

Hi,

I would just like to mention that even if your current method of reminders and post its works well for you. What if you are away for a few days, what happens then?

Does your DBH shrug off all the housekeeping work and let it pile up till you get back (making you feel bad btw), or does he use his own method? Or by a big coincidence can he make sense of your system?

What I like about the control journal is that when Natalia isn't here (and she usually leaves giving me a stern warning I shouldn't let the household go awry), I can just look up for each day what's supposed to be done and go do it.

My point is that the CJ is an easy and accessible way of letting your whole family in on what needs to be done, meaning they can work within the system.

Natalia's BF
Back to top Go down
SilveryBon

SilveryBon

PostSubject: CJ   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 9:32 am

Oooh, good point! It might help the S/HEs realize that we DO do something, and what to follow through with each day. Thanks, DBF!
Back to top Go down
BornToFly

BornToFly

PostSubject: CJ   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 10:03 am

Nataliasdbf - you have an excellent point! ... IF your /my other half pitches in when I'm gone. Mine never does, so my thinking didn't go there. If I don't do it, it doesn't get done, no matter how long I'm down or gone!! It just waits for me. That was so yucky sometimes.

I'll definitely keep it in mind for when things get better here & then maybe my DH will see it in a new light! Exclamation Like Bonnie says, he'll see that I'm going down a new path consistently & really doing this & maybe want to be a part of it. Then, I could reconsider implementing the CJ for both of us.

Good thinking - thanx for the input!! It helps set me straight. I'm so glad I came here. Thanx again, Natalia, for creating this - what a God-Breeze!!

Marie sunny
Back to top Go down
sacto_heidi
sacto_heidi

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 2:11 pm

Great points! I had an AHA! moment after reading Mister Natalia's post.

My parents have a spiral notebook at their mountain home that lives in the kitchen drawer by the phone. They let people go up there without them to to ski, ride quads and kick back. The notebook has a list of all the phone numbers for the local people who will fix stuff and neighbors who live up there full time so visitors have a clue where to turn in a jam.

The notebook also has a checklist of all of the stuff you have to do when you get there and leave. Turn the knob on the water heater like this..., the fire extinguishers are here, strip the beds, here's how the appliances and alarm works, the cleaning supplies for the bathrooms are under the sinks (my mother doesn't hint - there WILL be cleaning), the key to the trash dumpsters is... There is even a little spiral notebook in the place that has the remote controls because their home theatre is a bear to figure out.

Yano, I thought for a while my mother was just making sure we cleaned up but she uses the lists too. DUH! Control journals! When people use the home she doesn't have to reinvent the wheel every time with new lists or take calls all weekend when she isn't there. And, she doesn't have to worry about returning to a mess or damaging situation.

My computer and memory isn't going to do any good if the power is out, i'm not home or something happens to me. David would be lost for months. Mr. Natalia is a genius! What I really need is a CJ so my family knows the stuff that I only know. A reference guide of the bills we pay, meds, school info, insurance, etc.. I will include my home care routines for back-up but I'll still use the best tool for me - my computer for daily reminders.
Back to top Go down
BornToFly

BornToFly

PostSubject: CJ with a purpose ...   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 7:07 pm

Yesss! ... 'nother top-notch point, Heidi! Never gave the power outs or computer meltdowns a rational thought & they can be frequent, especially in our rural area. Without either - NO daily reminders! Oooops!

Excellent - I now have a very solid bunch of reasons to put my CJ, with some extra entries & info, into active use earlier than planned - if only for extraneous personal/financial/home data that should be known by others, just in case. I'll use this version to introduce my DH to it as a source of the pertinent data & that'll expose him to the rest of it eventually!! He may learn to like this yet - O joy!! cheers

Mr. Natalia - you are a true thinker king - many thanx!!

I'm off to revitalize my CJ.
Back to top Go down
SilveryBon

SilveryBon

PostSubject: CJ   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 9:56 pm

OK, I'm finally beginning to see some good reasons for a CJ. I think I resisted the idea so far because it is called a Control Journal, and I have a natural aversion to controlling people or things. Maybe I can put one together after all... perhaps call it my Happy Home Journal, instead. I can see a need for it since I am officially elderly now, and I suppose it is only a matter of time until I start losing ALL my marbles, or fall and break my whatchamacallit, have a stroke, or simply drop dead. (I'll make a note to tell them where the dog food is.)

I can't see having it laying out on the counter, as there is no room for anything else on the counter. Every flat surface in this house is already taken and piled high. Embarassed

Heidi, I especially liked your mother's effecient use of a CJ. The woman is ahead of her time.

Bon
Back to top Go down
BornToFly

BornToFly

PostSubject: CJ- revised edition   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 9:34 am

Yeah, Bonnie, I had already turned off the "Control" part too, for my "edition" - I was totally controlled in every way by both parents growing up & mentally refuse to succumb to it EVER again - no matter what form it takes. DH learned that one quickly, long ago! I am calling it OUR Home Journal so DH can see I include him too, from the beginning.

... & just curious, where will you put yours so it's handy? ... & yet out of the way? I, for one, don't like giving up available counter space to it; at least till things get better!? Neutral

I know FlyLady doesn't care for our perfectionism over this one word (Control), but it's a big issue for me - maybe she's never had to deal with this one in her past - she doesn't say in her essays so far.

... & too cute! I love your priorities - dog food rules!! Are we related??

Marie sunny
Back to top Go down
RhondaSue

RhondaSue

PostSubject: ohhh thats scary...   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 1:04 pm

I just posted a message a minute ago... saying the exact same thing! Oh thats just weird.... Guess that was confirmation...

Rhonda

2ndary note: I responded to the end of the message list, only to find MORE messages. And we are all on the same PAGE (haha Journal page reference)... very cool.
Back to top Go down
Natalia
Natalia

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 6:06 am

My CJ is in a map on the top of my desk (i have sort of a put on piece where i can put papers and pens and stuff) where my BF can always find it if necessary. I wouldnt want it in the kitchen because it would get dirty and it would take up precious countertop space, i completely agree with that.
Back to top Go down
RhondaSue

RhondaSue

PostSubject: Kitchen?   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 6:59 am

I love to cook, but I am a messy cook. Flour will be everywhere... Its just releasing my inner cooking brat. Anything in the kitchen is guaranteed to get something on it. I can't cook w/out getting SOMETHING on me... It's an endearing quality --hahah.

Rhonda
Back to top Go down
Natalia
Natalia

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 7:01 am

RhondaSue wrote:
I love to cook, but I am a messy cook. Flour will be everywhere... Its just releasing my inner cooking brat. Anything in the kitchen is guaranteed to get something on it. I can't cook w/out getting SOMETHING on me... It's an endearing quality --hahah.

Rhonda

Oh I have that too!! And it drives BF nuts sometimes cause his area to clean is more or less the kitchen and when i have baked (which i do a lot because of the diet) there is flower and dough everywhere Very Happy

See then you should put your CJ somewhere else where it is safe Smile
Back to top Go down
RhondaSue

RhondaSue

PostSubject: R U behind me   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 7:12 am

You musta posted your message RIGHT behind me... I was going to look at my responce and there you were? Are you cleaning up behind me? (big grin)

I am reminded of the last time (last week) that I breaded something and my lovely DH (well ok he's lovely NOW) ... he goes -- "honey? how on earth did you get flour all the way on the counter above the tv" Ummmm I just laughed and said, "its one of my MANY skills" --- bwahahah.

I'd say put it in the bathroom, cuz then I will look at it.. but it will get steamy and all... If I put it in a dreser, I'll never look at it. My purse is already full. And I'm still trying to think of what to call it...

Home Blessing Journal
Happiness Journal
PUttin my ducks in a row book
Where did I put that book, book..
Maybe I should just write ... ICOE (in case of emergency)
Everything you might every think you might ever need to know IUMETUMEN2K? hahahahaha

Sorry - Im cracking myself up this morning...
RHonda <-- 2nd cup o java morning..
Back to top Go down
sacto_heidi
sacto_heidi

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 1:14 pm

It is only a Control Journal or CJ for purposes of everyone here knowing what the heck we are talking about. Name it whatever you want! All in favor? The ayes have it!

I believe it is called a control journal because when you have it YOU are in control your home and not the opposite. I still like getting rid of the C word and your cute names much, MUCH better. I might call mine Mini Me from Austin Powers. As Doctor Evil would say, "Throw me a bone, people. Give me the info."

NOW I know why I don't bake from scratch!! I'm not cooking with you ladies unless you do the cooking and I just follow you around cleaning and getting you a cocktail. I have to clean as I go all the way down to putting a saucer under the stirring spoon so it doesn't gunk the counter. David, on the other hand, has your gifts and cooks like he is an artist in a trance. Goop everywhere, noodles across the room...I don't buy those bagles with all of the seeds on them anymore. The store is conveniently "always out." Cool Shhh! He made me invent the term "sauce spiders." They are born when sauce hits the floor and splats out big spider-like legs. Oh and there is him serving with food on both sides of the plate! I need to go find my happy place now.
Back to top Go down
Natalia
Natalia

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 3:59 am

Oh bagels... now im craving bagels. Im hungry and at work and lunch isnt for another hour... Darn.. Hmm Bagels...

Ok, back to topic. You dont have to call it a CJ. I didnt want mine to be english Wink so i gave it a dutch name which would translate to captains log Smile Seeing as DBF and I are both nerds Smile Call it whatever you like, and you can change it too later. You dont have to pick the perfect name this instant. Just pick something and change it if needed/wanted later. Dont get hung up on something small like a name!

Make it beautiful along the way. First I had written it down on papers, now its all in the computer, more beautiful etc, but that didnt happen in one time. I did a bit every time i thought of it. Maybe you can make the cover pretty too, but dont start with that..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm a Control Journal brat.   I'm a Control Journal brat. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm a Control Journal brat.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Flybaby Community Forum :: Housekeeping & Flylady.net :: Control Journal-
Jump to: